Saturday 9 July 2011

The Phantom of the Opera

It's about time I had a phantom-post! It being my favourite musical of all time, and all that.

Well, I first fell in love with it (as I have undoubtedly blogged before, but oh well) in April 2010 when I went with my school on a Music GCSE trip to London to see it. I had, of course, heard of the story before, but although already being a musicals geek, I hadn't seen it because I was a little unsure of exactly how operatic it would be. Of course, I love Opera now, and that isn't a problem! But in reality, I would only call Carlotta's parts leaning towards the operatic more than musical, and it's not a problem!

I have seen two Christine's before, Robyn North in April 2010, and Gina Beck in August 2010, both brilliant actors and singers. I could ramble on for pages about them, but this particular blog is for Sofia Escobar, whom I was lucky enough to see a few weeks ago.

Her Majesty's Theatre, Haymarket is my absolute favourite place in London, maybe even the world (not wanting to sound over-dramatic or anything...). It's just beautiful - a tall, imposing and intricate structure on the outside, and beautifully decorated inside.

Gina Beck having been the last Christine I saw, I was apprehensive as to how I would like Sofia Escobar. However, it's like she was made for the role! Her voice is strong and rich with a strong operatic vibrato, but also soft and sweet, perfect for those 'frightened Christine' moments.

As always, it took only until the famous Think Of Me cadenza and I was won over! The show went off without a hitch, which always surprises me, especially with such a technically-difficult show such as Phantom.

One slight disappointment was that John Owen-Jones (current Phantom) was off on holiday, as I really wanted to see him, but his understudy Scott Davies was excellent! So no problems there. The way he acted obsessed and slightly out of his mind was great for the character of the Phantom, and there was just the right mixture of hate and self-pity to make you love him :)

High points were definitely every time the beautiful Sofia Escobar was on stage ;) But especially the rooftop scene with Raoul and All I Ask Of You, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, and Point Of No Return, which, since I last saw it, has improved even more! The stuggle between Christine and the Phantom when she realises it is him is hair-raising, and the end still makes me cry!

I am definitely booking tickets to see her again in action, this time, hopefully with the (apparantly) phenomenal JOJ.

Favourite musical ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment