Sunday 6 March 2011

Love Never Dies OLC Final Performance!

Straight after I saw the show two months ago for the first time, I booked tickets to see it again. Thats the impression it made! And what better night was there to go, than on the 5th of March, which was the final performance for the Original London Cast? (or most of them anyway)
 
I had been in full excitement mode since about two weeks before, and last night certainly lived up to all my expectations, and more! The Adelphi theatre was absolutely packed, not a spare seat in the house. The cast members (whom I avidly follow on twitter) had been tweeting about their final performance all day, and it was obviously an emotional night for them all. The excitement was tangible when the overture began, and by the end of the first half, I was already in tears! Ramin Karimloo in Till I Hear You Sing was phenomenal as always, and Sierra Boggess, whom I hadn't seen before as Christine was faultless.
 
The audience was the best I have ever been a part of, cheering and screaming after each song. The applause after Beneath A Moonless Sky  must have lasted two minutes at least. I'm at a loss how to justly describe it, except for the entire show was spectacular, thrilling and charged with an emotion that I'm sure every audience member felt along with the cast. It was definitely the best experience of my life.
 
Act two was even more emotional than the first. The best moment in the show was when Sierra got a standing ovation after Love Never Dies. It was the best performance of an aria EVER, and leads me to conclude that she has the most beautiful soprano voice in the world . . . That applause and standing ovation was very fitting and well deserved for her last show. Another highlight was Devil Take the Hindmost with Ramin Karimloo and Joseph Millson. Highly comedic moments, their banter and Ramin's very camp and patronizing little wave at the end made the whole audience giggle.
 
Summer Strallen as Meg (who I can't not mention) was brilliant! It was my first time seeing her too, she was beautiful and note perfect. Bathing Beauty was highly entertaining, and I was less shocked at the topless part this time, knowing it was coming! She will next be performing as Dale Tremont opposite Tom Chambers in the musical version of Tophat!, touring the UK this year. I may just have to go see it ...
 
Unfortunately, I will most likely not be able to see Sierra Boggess in her next venture - creating a role in new musical Masterclass on Broadway. It is a sad loss for London's West End, but lets hope she will at some point return!
 
After the show, I am not ashamed to say that the moment the curtain went down, I ran to the stage door . . . 



There must have been two hundred people crowding to get a glimpse of and meet the stars of the show! The atmosphere outside was even better than in the theatre. I was surrounded by die-hard Love Never Dies fans - like in a dream! After about ten minutes Summer Strallen stuck her head out of her dressing room window - cue screaming and whooping from the die-hard crowd below! After that, they all got in on the act. A huge highlight was when Ramin sat on his windowsill and play a Sheytoons song for us :) Absolutely awesome.


I feel slightly sorry for the cast and crew - anyone attempting to leave the stage door and go home had to negotiate a huge mob of fans. There just wasn't enough space . . . One poor man had to carry his bike over his head. I thoughrally enjoyed every minute and did not mind being squished from every direction.


I am still buzzing about the fact that I met Niamh Perry (Fleck), Liz Robertson (Madame Giry), Jessica Kirton (understudy Meg), Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo! Everyone was so nice, especially Ramin and Sierra. Anyone who hasn't yet seen Love Never Dies, Ramin is still starring as The Phantom until September this year. Book tickets!!!


Liz Robertson, I believe, is also staying as well as Adam Pearce (Squelch), and here is a list of the new cast:


Christine - Celia Graham (previous understudy Christine and a fantastic performer! If we can't have Sierra, Celia is  definitely a good choice. Previously Christine in Phantom of the Opera and Maria in West Side Story)


Meg Giry - Haley Flaherty (has starred in Grease, Chicago, Mamma Mia and most recently Janet Weiss in a UK tour of The Rocky Horror Show)


Raoul - David Thaxton (Enjolras in Les Miserables and most recently Passion at the Donmar Warehouse)


Fleck - Tracey Penn 


Gangle - Charles Brunton


Phew! Here we go again. Lets hope they are all a success! I am looking forward to seeing them, although they will never outshine the original cast in our hearts  . . .

6 comments:

  1. I so wish I was you right now! I would love to have gotten to see Sierra as Christine in LND, well see LND for that matter! If they ever get over here in America and if Ramin does play the Phantom over here, I will try my best to see him in it! I could almost guarantee that I would be giggling the whole time b/c of how gorgeous Ramin is. I got giggly when I watched him in the Les Mis concert the other night, and that was on TV! I think that even if I had heard him sing before I saw what he looked like, I would have still fallen in love with him! He's just got one of those voices that you can fall in love with them without seeing their picture! I just wish he wasn't married!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lilsisasu It was amazing :) I love him in Les Mis, but he's even better live! (if thats possible) You never know, Sierra and Ramin might open the Broadway show! I definitely recommend it, they are like the best pairing of the Phantom and Christine everrr ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! That sounded so much fun. I have seen it twice (Sierra played Christine both times and I saw Ramin and Tam-both AMZAZING). I never had the guts to go to the stage door though. Wish I had. I am attempting to blog about my Love Never Dies experiance too. But yours sounds way more fun. The second time I saw it a lady in the audiance actually screamed at that bit in the bar when the phantom took the barmans place. They were trying so hard not to laugh on stage it was so FUNNY.
    Looking forward to reading more
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Phantom-Lass Thanks! I love blogging about live theatre, its just so unpredictable! I jumped the first time I saw the bar-exchange :P If you go again, you should definitely try to go to the stage door. They're all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I really will have to get up the guts. My problem is that I am too shy... It would give me something very cool to blog about though if I did go to the stage door...;)

    Of to read your next post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Phantom-Lass Yay :)

    Lol I'm so shy too, I think I was shaking when they came out! But you'll be glad you do it :) xx

    ReplyDelete