Tuesday 15 February 2011

Direct from the West End

Okay, this was supposed to be a space for me to philosophically reflect upon my life and the world around me, but who wants to read that?! So it's become much more of a theater blog. Which is fine with me!

So, last Sunday, I went with my mum and sister to see the last of 3 new shows, Direct from the West End. We had booked the tickets months ago, ever since I heard that Gina Beck (who I saw in Phantom of the Opera last year) would be performing. And it certainly did not disappoint!

I saw the show in Windsor's charming little Theater Royal, and was lucky enough the be in the front stalls! Those two hours of the best of musical theater went far, far too quickly for my liking. The wonderful cast (listed below) opened with A New World, from the musical Songs for a New World. Despite not being familiar with the song, it was a wonderful opening to the show. They continued from strength to strength, singing songs from the best loved of all musicals, including Phantom of the Opera (my personal favorite!), Love Never Dies, Wicked, We Will Rock You, Les Miserables, Jesus Christ Superstar, Hairspray, West Side Story, Mamma Mia, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat and Cats. Not to mention several lesser-known, but just as great musicals.

The amazing west end cast included:

Samantha Barks - Who absolutely smashed (in my opinion) The Wizard and I. If she is not cast in Wicked in the next few years, then I will be shocked and that show will have missed out on a great opportunity! One of the youngest west end stars out there, and currently performing in Les Miserables at Queens Theater, I predict that she has a bright and sparkly future ahead of her.

Anthony Hansen - A name I admit I was not familiar with, but will definitely be remembering! He had such a cute twinkle in his eyes when singing I Love You Baby, and such a charismatic presence! He has recently joined the cast of Wicked, and I for one am certainly looking forward to booking tickets!

Scott Garnham - Definately has a talent for comedy! He had the audience in the palm of his hand, cracking cheesy theater-related jokes throughout the night. But it was his soaring vocals in songs Til I Hear You Sing and Maria which sent goosebumps down my arms. A co-producer, and founder of Musical Ovation LTD with Martin Neely, he is to thank for bringing this show to us.

Rachel Bingham - Another name I hadn't heard of before, but her voice astounded me. A perfect rendition of both As Long As He Needs Me  and The Winner Takes It All, she is another reason why you should buy a ticket to see Les Miserables in the West End!

Jessie May - Currently performing as Sophie Sheridan in Mamma Mia, Jessie was definitely one of my favourite performers of the night, the sheer exuberance she emitted was infectious, and her vocals absolutely stunning. She performed both the love duet All I ask Of You and the rockier Somebody To Love to equal high standards, displaying her ability to slip into such different roles. I'm seeing her in Mamma Mia in a few weeks, so expect another review!

Killian Donnelly - Currently Enjolras in Les Miserables, he was yet another super talented and charismatic member of the cast. Like Jessie, he showed his capability for different roles as Raoul to Jessie's Christine in All I Ask Of You and strutted his stuff in Superstar  from Jesus Christ Superstar. Backed up by the whole cast and including some questionable dance moves, this song was one of the most fun!

Jeff Nicholson - As the foreman and u/s Javert in Les Miserables, he is not displaying his full talents. After his joining the lovely Gina Beck in Phantom of the Opera and taking a chilling solo in Music of the Night, I am considering starting a petition to get him to wear the mask! However, his highlight was definitely Song of the King from Joseph, backed up by the whole cast and again including some questionable, but highly entertaining dance moves! Inspired by Elvis ... I shall say no more.

Gina Beck - Last, but definitely not least! My personal favourite musical theater performer, after seeing her as Christine Daae in Phantom last year, she was who I came to see. A beautiful performance in the title song of that musical, I think everyone who was there would agree. She was especially amazing in her solo Memory, and lent her beautiful soprano voice to Cosette (whom she previously played at Queens Theater) in One Day More and to Maria in Tonight. She is going to be starring in The Kissing Dance from March-April in an off west-end venue, so get your tickets!

The entire performance was uplifting, exciting and all together enjoyable. The idea of taking a cast of extremely talented west end performers with a repertoire of well-loved songs to venues outside London is genius. I for one hope that the success of these shows will inspire many more!

Highlights I have not yet mentioned include Fugue for Tinhorns from Guys and Dolls performed by comedic trio Scott, Killian and Jeff. I didn't know the song before, but they did it wonderfully! Jessie May's Welcome to the Sixties was awesome, her vocals faultless and her acting of the song very energetic.

One of the things I think that made the show such a success was the sheer amount of fun the performers themselves seemed to be having, and the great way in which they interacted with each other. While extremely successful in their solos, the ensemble performances stood out as the best. If another show comes up, I will be the first to get tickets, and advise everyone else to do the same! Even if you are not particularly a fan of musical theater, this is a perfect show to attend simply to have a good fun time. And who knows, this fabulous cast may just be able to convert you!

xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Great that you wanted to write up a nice review of Direct from the West End, but if you want to be a 'famous author' as you say...you need to find your own voice - plagarising other peoples words defeats the whole purpose of writing; needs to be original. Writing is about expressing what's in your soul... Keep going though, but next time, sit down and really try to put down what you are feeling/thinking in your own words and it will be so much more fulfilling for you. Trust me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Julie - I don't understand how I am 'plagarising other peoples words' ...? Who do you think wrote it for me? I saw a show, and wrote review on it. That's all.

    ReplyDelete